Saturday, February 7, 2009

Ezra Sherman - We Love You!


I thought it would be nice to have a place for people to tell something they knew or loved about our boy Ezra.  Just a favorite memory.  I'll go first and mine will be the longest, but please indulge me.
Ezra couldn't wait to be born and start his life on earth.  He and his identical twin brother Milo, were born at 32 weeks.  Our boys weighed the exact same amount to the gram, which we've been told is very unusual - what a surprise.  
Although born early, Ezra and Milo began crawling on the same day - a week before they turned 5 months old.  They were cruising by 6 months and could walk by 8 months.  Those boys were never ones to sit or stand still and they always reached every mile stone together - on the same day!
Enough baby stories.  Ezra has always LOVED music.  He played the violin for a year, he played the cello for a year, he started the clarinet this year, and he played the piano for the last 4 years.  He could listen to any song and then sit down at the piano and pick out the tune and play it by ear.  He loved to go through all of our old cds and pick out things to play.  He loved the Beatles, Norah Jones, Bob Dylan, and a local a cappella group called "The Coats," Gershwin, Jazz, and so much more - he loved to sing and dance along - always in a silly way and when he was especially moved he would then hit the pause button and run over to the piano and pick out the same tune, playing it over and over until he got it just right and then add in some little flourishes.  Ezra was always one to add a flourish to everything!  He often signed his name with an exclamation point - EZRA!
Ezra loved performing.  He LOVED Broadway Bound.  He first production was Annie in 3rd grade, he played Mr. Bundles, a servant, and several other small parts.  He had 7 different costumes to keep track of and loved every minute of it.  Next came Seussical.  He was the Mayor of Whoville and he loved his bright green and pink costume Rita made for him and he got to ride his unicycle in the Circus McGirkus.  In 4th grade he was in Singing In the Rain.  He played Flick and an assistant director.  He got to learn some tap dancing and had a blast.  Next up was Grease.  he played a student and a rock n roller and loved doin' the Hand Jive.  And he loved this cast that was filled with so many of his friends from McGilvra.  Most recently Ezra performed in the Wizard of Oz last month.  He was the Barrister of Munchkin Land and got to sing a duet and dance with Milo, who was the Mayor of Munchkin Land.  He wanted to be in as many of these productions in a row as he could - he loved participating in these shows.  He loved the comraderie, the excitement, the challenge, the friendships, the exhillartion of being on stage and mostly just the FUN.  Thanks Jimmy and all the other wonderful people who make this program possible.
Ezra loved going to school.  He loved his teachers.  He loved his friends.  He loved learning.  He felt apart of the McGilvra community and genuinely loved it there.  He never wanted to miss school, ever.  Although the recent snow days were fun, Ezra wished he could still have gone to school instead.  He liked to be there with his friends, and after reading all of your kind and loving posts it is really no wonder.  Thank you McGilvra family - and I hope all of you kids know I would love a hug from you anytime - I am feeling pretty close to all of you sweet kids!  And please keep hiding Jordan's water bottle for Ezra (sorry Jordan - and Ms. Kierstead and Ms. Calvert!)
Ezra was a helper.  He loved to help people.  Anyone in need, Ezra was there.  He wanted to rake the neighbor's leaves before they got home from work.  He was always the first to rub my back when I sat down - and boy was he a most excellent back rubber!  He raised guide puppies for the blind.  He would stay after church meetings to take down chairs and put them away.  He would sweep our front steps without being asked.  He seemed to always know when there was something he could do for someone and he would try to do it.  Is it any wonder that the name Ezra is Hebrew means "help," "helper," and "helper of God."
Ezra was generous.  I'll never forget the day I told him about the Tsunami in Asia.  He ran upstairs and got his piggy bank, ran back to me, opened it and dumped out all of his money.  He wanted every cent to be given to the relief aid, he didn't hold anything back for himself.  He was that kind of a boy.  Knowing that all of my kids had wanted a pet for years, I asked them 2 years ago if they wanted to get a pet dog or raise a guide dog for the blind, all jumped up cheering and chanting "Guide Dog, Guide Dog!" Ezra never missed a training class, went to several guide dog graduations, and took all of his puppy raising duties seriously.  Although he knew he would be sad to give his puppy away one day he knew it would be ok, because he wanted to give that gift of love to someone.  He loved that he was helping make someone else's life better and never thought about it as a sacrifice or a chore.  Ezra would give anything he had to anyone who needed it or wanted it for that matter.  He had a big heart and loved to make someone else smile by giving them something.  He shared his smile and his life with many.
Ezra loved little children.  He was very sweet and nurturing with them.  He thought they were fun and funny!  At church he liked to sit behind 5 year old Lucy and 3 year old Charlotte.  He liked to make faces at them and make them smile.  He would say things like, "Mom, Charlotte is really growing up isn't she?"  Or he would remember something silly Lucy had said and then repeat it over and over saying, "wasn't that cute mom?"  He loved all the little neighborhood kids.  He loved greeting them and playing with them.  And he thought they were cool and considered them his friends.
Ezra was very artistic.  He loved drawing and kept a sketch book near his pillow.  He would often sketch before he went to sleep.  He wanted to be an Imagineer for Disney when he grew up.
Ezra was fun.  He was ALWAYS thinking of fun, creative things to do.  He LOVED life and was constantly in motion.  He was pretty much always happy.  Always with a sly grin and a wink.  Always ready to do a silly dance to make me laugh or sing in a silly opera voice or whatever.  And best of all he had Milo, his best friend who thought he was funny and always liked his ideas.  The two of them together were like poetry in motion or a twister spinning out of control, depending on your current frame of mind.  
Ezra was a good brother to his sister Luka and he loved her.  He thought she was awesome.  He was proud of her and interested in what she was doing and liked to be with her.  They sat next to each other in the car.  Not that anyone ever assigned seats, but that just sort of happened. 
Ezra loved unicycling, he could unicycle forward and backward and rock back and forth and hop up and down and pedal using only one foot.  He was truly ready for the circus.  He also loved waveboarding and always looked so graceful weaving back and forth down the sidewalk. He made it look so easy, I still haven't mastered it, but I'm going to Ezra!
Ezra had faith and believed in God and his Savior Jesus Christ.   I have his scriptures next to my bed and like me, he had already started tucking little notes and cards and pieces of paper inside of them.  One of the little notes I found inside had a scripture from Psalms 82:6 "All of you are children of the most high."  Another note card he got from his sunday school class says, "I have a Father in Heaven who loves me."  He believed in prayer and prayed with our family and at his bedside.  He always talked to God like he knew God was listening and just like a child speaking to their Father.  He recently gave a talk in front of our entire church congregation about being a peacemaker.  And one scripture that he loved was one that he had memorized to recite in front of the congregation, Isaiah 9:6 "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, the mighty God, the everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace."
Ezra loved playing with his cousins, none of whom live in Seattle.  He loved reunions in Seaside, Oregon, where he got to play with his cousins from sun up to sun down.  He would spend his days digging huge holes in the sand with his cousins and jumping in the icy cold waves.  He adored his grandma and grandpa Hemsley and loved visiting them.  He missed his grandma and grandpa Sherman, who he is now visiting with in heaven.
His favorite place on earth was the Sherman Family Ranch - thank you to Grandpa Sherman for purchasing that way back in 1964, it is an amazing place where we can all enjoy the beauty of this world in total peace.  Ezra's summers were mostly spent at the ranch where he would spend his days outside exploring, building forts, swimming in the lake, building damns, going on walks, and picking blackberries.  At night he would put on plays with Milo and Luka for his mom and dad to enjoy.  A favorite would be acting out episodes from I Love Lucy, where he would often play the roles of both Fred and Ethel.
At home Ezra's favorite traditions were having dutch babies for breakfast on Sunday mornings, Friday family movie night - where we watched everything from old classics like the Marx brothers films and Bringing Up Baby, etc. to musicals to more recent favorites, like Elf - which he had memorized, "You like sugar don't you?"  He loved going on walks in the Arboretum, family bike rides, and walking in the neighborhood - well not walking so much, he was actually never very happy walking, he always wanted to ride a skateboard, waveboard, roller blade, or ride his unicycle.  Walking was too slow for him.  He liked riding his bike to school with his dad and wanted to ride the STP with his dad.  And Ezra loved going to Disneyland with his family and helping to plan the trip and trading disney pins.
Ezra was bold and liked to wear bright pink.  He had a favorite bright pink shirt he loved to wear.  He had pink socks and pink converse - not worn at the same time.  Usually the polka dot socks were worn with the pink converse.  He had panache.
So this was our boy.  Please feel free to add a favorite story or memory, just something short please, don't write a long post like I just did, but a brief comment would be beautiful.



97 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
Thank you for supplying us with all the sweet memories! Here's one I remember:
I remember Ezra calling out instructions to the other unicyclers and goofing around with the lap riders. He was always very funny.
From Hayley

Anonymous said...

I have many memories of Ezra from Art class - he was very artistic and had a lot of FUN in Art. Most recently, the kids were making clay fish in plaster molds. As soon as we took their fish out of the molds, Ezra looked at me with a mischevious grin and we both knew exactly what he was thinking! Flying fish from the Pike Place Market - but he didn't really throw the fish! Laurie (Hayley and Lacey's mom)

Anonymous said...

Three mischievous and determined boys - Ezra, Milo and Jacob - sending smoke signals with their magnifying glass and a pile of grass clippings on the sidewalk in front of the house. My neighbor walking by just shaking his head and laughing. Me, opening the front door and yelling, "hey boys, put out that fire!"

Anonymous said...

I'll always remember...
Madrona parade on Ripticks and a Ripple. Playing at Powell Barnet park. Riding bikes to school in the endless line of Madrona kids. His mischevious smile. Turning Madrona park into our bike park making up our own ramps and jumps! Cake walks at the Madrona BBQ. Ezra sharing my snack (especially the Cheddar Jack Cheez-its and the smoked salmon)! Making his chair squeak and tapping his pencil in class over and over again.

Your friend, Cole J

hhespelt said...

Ezra and Milo were always the first to jump in to help at our Guide Dog puppy meetings. First to provide distractions for the pups (bouncing balls, bouncing boys) first to take the attendance sheet around, first to cheerfully attach hundreds of tags to the Chico bags we were selling as a fundraiser, first to hold a new wriggling puppy. Always sunny, always kind, always helpful. Ezra also worked really hard at the holiday party to prove that 'Santa' was an impostor!
From Heidi and Dallas

Anonymous said...

I only saw Ezra smiling. Sometimes it was a big wide smile and sometimes a small shy grin. In all the years we lived across the street I only saw him happy. And usually moving, often rather fast, typically with the help of something with a wheel or two...

Anonymous said...

I always loved seeing the brightly colored outfits Ezra chose for school! My absolute favorite memories of Ezra are watching him do little 'practice recitals' with his sister and brother. He was always very dramatic and he liked to add little flourishes to the end of his songs, like he didn't want the song to finish.
I will really miss seeing Ezra and Milo bringing me a chair before piano lessons. One little boy on one side, one on the other, all smiles and silliness, carrying that chair to the piano and presenting it with bows and waves, and then disappearing like little elves.

Anonymous said...

I remember that when Luka and I were in 5th grade we decided that it would be cool to have a pole held between us (while on unicycles) for someone to do tricks. Ezzra was the first one to voulenteer and he was always coming up with crazy new things to try out!.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Sherman family for this post - this one made me smile rather than cry. Ezra had a great life and was a great kid. My Zach will attest to that.

Tracy said...

I remember coming to your house one time when Ezra was a preschooler, before he started actual piano lessons. He had been writing his own original tune for piano and wanted to share it with me. I remember looking over his head at Kandice, wide-eyed because of his musical talent. She looked back as proud as a mom can be. He had a flair for the dramatic, even then.

Ann said...

I remember Ezra always being so thoughtful. When I was his primary teacher, I missed church one Sunday. He wrote me a note to tell me he was sorry I could not come that day. I think he was 7.

Anonymous said...

I remember when I was playing monkey in the middle with Milo and Ezra. Ezra and I teamed up against Milo and it was very fun!

Anonymous said...

Halloween 2007, when Ezra had to explain at each house how his brother couldn't make it up the stairs in his costume, so he needed to get two pieces of candy. And was it Ezra who couldn't eat any candy that night due to the gelatin nose that Ryan made for him?
I also remember a great goal that Ezra scored for the Cheetahs, perfectly placed in the upper corner. He was a very good player, and the team was never the same after they left.

Anonymous said...

I remember waiting with Kandice for Luka and Peyton to come out of the 1st grade portables. While Cole stayed right under me the wonderfully outgoing Ezra and Milo were dashing around the playground on their tiny 2-wheeler bikes. I remember thinking how at just 4 years old they looked too small to be able to ride on 2 wheels. Now fast forward to about 1st grade for our boys and I remember Ezra and Milo dashing around Madrona playfield on their bikes - riding down stairs and off of their "jumps" - Cole (finally) had learned to ride, but was always timid and not very risk-taking. But that day, he dared to be like the Sherman boys, stepped out of his comfort zone and tried the jumps and stairs at the park on his bike, too. Thanks Ezra and Milo for helping show Cole the excitement and that it's ok to take risks sometimes!

Anonymous said...

I remember when in third grade Ezra and Milo switched classes and the teachers didn't know until the end of the day. It was very funny. I also remember when he tried to teach me to rock on a unicycle.

Cecile

Anonymous said...

Hello!
I remember, with Ezra, when he kept stealing Ivy's pencil shearpener, and Ivy said " No! It's mine! you stole it i know you did!" and Ezra would keep a sly grin on his face, while Ivy reached across her desk ( Ezra's desk was right in front of Ivy's and my desk) and tried to find the pencil sharpener in his desk. He also liked to steal my scented eraser, and smell it the whole time, and Ivy and i would be trying to pry it out of his hands like you do to dogs with stuff in their mouths. it was pretty funny. Ivy and i put my eraser, and her pencil sharpener on Ezra's memorial (desk) in the library.

Courtenay

Anonymous said...

I remember when cecile, courtenay and I went to the same soccer camp as Ezra and Milo. Ezra loved to kick our balls as far as he could across the field to make us run and get it. And when ever we tried to kick his ball Ezra would find some tricky way to resist and kick OUR balls. He always had a big grin from ear to ear.

Rebecca (cecile and courtenay's friend)

Anonymous said...

Kandice,
First - I want to thank you more than you know for your prior post that outlined just what happened after school ended on that fateful Friday a week ago. Reading that really helped me to accept and brought great calmness to both Sara and I - Thank you.
Now, to the short (hopefully) comments about Ezra. When Sara B came to McGilvra in 2nd grade, Ezra was one of (if not the) first person to make friends with her. And they became the best of McGilvra buddies after that. Sara would always tell me great stories of the games on the play ground, especially the "boy" and "girl" teams and how Ezra was on the "girl" team! I loved that first year when you and I were art room parents, without that experience I would not really be able to say I knew Ezra. What fun it was in the classroom. Sara contined to bring home story after story of her games with Ezra. Then, fifth grade hit and Sara and Ezra were NOT going to be in the same class - Sara was so sad, but then she said "well, this is my chance to get to know Milo better!" I remember mentioning this to you at the beginning of the year and you said "Yeah, Milo is a pretty great kid too!" So true - Sara and Ezra along with Milo and Jacob and Delaney and the other kids all had so much fun on the playground, seeing each other at the little park near Delaney's house, watching and performing together at Broadway Bound - and so many other memories. I'll leave Sara to post other memories, she has so many. Thank you for letting us have your wonderful little boy for all the years we got to embrace him within the McGilvra Community - we will carry him forever with us in our hearts. Yours, Susan Bellan

Anonymous said...

Hey,
I remember when I came over to visit Luka and Milo, Ezra, and Luka tried to teach me how to unicycle. (It really is harder than they make it look!) and later tried to teach me how to skatebord for thier baackyard olympics. At lunch Luka would tell stories about all the funny events Ezra and Milo orachstrated. One I remember well was when Luka mentioned how Ezra and Milo always introduced themselves as themselves, and people asumed they weren't. So whenever I ran into them, at math competitions and such, Luka would introduce Ezra as Milo and Milo as Ezra just to confuse me. After that, half the time they indrouced themselves correctly and half the time they didn't, only confusing me even more.
Clare

Ezra's family said...

I just was taking a quick afternoon nap on our bed with Kandice, Milo and Luka. Kandice offered me the pillow covering her head if she could have the eyemask that she typically uses to keep the light out. Luka described it to Milo so he could find it. Milo quickly realized what we were looking for..."Oh, that thing Ezra likes to put on Beckley?" ... sounds like our Ezra.
Ezra's Dad

Anonymous said...

Hello,
One of my favorite memories was when we were in Ms.Bs class. Lizzy and I would dress Ezra, Milo and zach in hula danceing outfits over there clothes.

love Natalie

Anonymous said...

I only saw Ezra once, in August 2001, when we happened to both be visiting church in Monterey at the same time. Karen (Kandice's mom--my sister) had told me a lot about the boys, but although she had described them as constant motion I guess I didn't fully comprehend what that meant until I saw them in action. While Luka sat quietly on the bench attending to the meeting, Milo and Ezra were EVERYWHERE, on the bench, under the bench, over the bench, and all over you. I knew then, watching how patiently and lovingly you handled them, that you were the perfect parents for these two special boys. How lucky you all are to be an eternal family.
Love, Aunt Cheryl

Sarah said...

I know this was left in a prior post by someone else, which makes me wonder if we happened to be visiting the same Sunday, or it happened more than once!
We were visiting you guys in Seattle, and I think we met you at church. The twins were only like 3 or 4. We have vivid memories of Milo and Ezra skulking up to the stand, running down separate aisles while Ryan casually tried to catch up. They ended up behind the chairs on the stand, little faces popping up occasionally and laughing, while Ryan tried to be invisible (good luck, tall guy!) and collect them! Reed and I were laughing so hard, especially since we had memories of Luka being a baby and how in total control you were as parents. That day it looked like the boys had the upper hand! It was very reassuring for us "normal" parents! Ha ha ha... They were hilarious that day!
Sarah

Anonymous said...

HI!!!
My favorite memory of Ezra is when Milo, and Luka,and he, and I went trick-or-treating this Halloween all dressed up as characters from Alice in Wonderland, we came up to our neighborhood haunted house (which is really scary), Ezra walked right up and started taunting one of the dummies on the porch with his bag of candy, suddenly it reached out and grabbed his candy. He gave a little shriek of joy and pushed the dummy off the porch accidentally. We laughed our heads off when he started taunting the one next to it.
Another one of my faves' is when we were walking into their house from the backyard and he accidentally ran into the soccer net . Milo and I literally doubled over laughing.
Ezra and Milo are some of my best friends and I'll never forget some of the memories we shared together.

Anonymous said...

I remember watching Milo and Ezra in nursery in church. When one would leave to use the restroom he would first have to touch the other before he left. When he returned he would quickly find his twin and their eyes would meet before returning to his play. What an uncommon bond!

michandler said...

I poste this before but in case you missed it, please visit my blog @ michandler.blogspot.com for my "memory" of Ezra. You really can't remember him without Milo. The thing that stands out most for me is how both of them always had a warm, sunny smile and always had some story to share with me. They are a ray of sunshine.

Miste

dallas and Kim said...

It's hard for me to pick out one specific memory of Ezra for two reasons: one, they all blur together in my mind over the years and, two, memories of Ezra and Milo are all mixed together, too.

However, I'm surprised that his mom didn't mention that both of her boys and Luka are true food connaisseurs. From a very young age, they have loved a wide variety of very unusual foods and ate with gusto and true appreciation. This, I'm sure, was just normal behavior to Kandice and Ryan, but to someone whose child (Ezra's cousin Ethan) has food phobias and is frightened of most things that appear on his plate, the opposite behavior was nothing short of amazing to me.

He also enjoyed his Aunt Kim's plain old apple pie. I made two apple pies for Thanksgiving dinner last November at Uncle Greg's house. We enjoyed one pie one night and one pie the other, but they didn't go very far, since we had 18 for dinner. I remember Ezra being slightly disappointed by the small sliver I put on his plate as I served the pie, but he didn't complain. I told him he could come back if there was more.
Now I'll always wish I'd made him his OWN apple pie! This year, we'll feast on apple pie...in honor of Ezra! XO Aunt Kim

bonny with a Y said...

Dearest Shermans.

My heart is breaking, but I wanted to share my memory of Ezra. When we visited during your trip to L.A. two years ago, I loved watching the children clown around at the American Girl Place and in front of Versailles. I was so impressed with Ezra's ease with his surroundings and the joy with his place in the world.

We love you.

Bonny and the Bolanders

Anonymous said...

My favorite memory of Ezra was at Uncle Greg and Aunt Cher's house. We were doing karaoke and Ezra and Milo made signs advertising it. I had a lot of fun and specifically remember singing "Tomorrow". I wish I could do it again.

Love, cousin Zach

Delaney said...

Dear Sherman family,
One of the many great memories of Ezra was when Emma Jane, Milo, Ezra, and i all went sledding together.
Emma Jane, Milo, Ezra and I walked down your street writing PIE! on all of the snowy car windows. When we got to the hill Ezra asked me if i wanted to go down with him. I said absolutly, and we got on the sled. Ezra was in the front and i was holding his shoulders. We started speading down the hill and we both screamed...loudly. I think Ezra forgot to mention the jump, well we flew off it, I got really scared and wraped my arms around him, but that didn't help because we both landed in the snow right next to eachother.
Love,
Delaney

Anonymous said...

I didn't know your kids very well, but I have always admired how close your family is and how close, especially, Ezra and Jacob are. I loved the ward talent show when you all came unicycling into the room.

I just heard about this from Cindy, and I'm so sad to hear about everything that happened. Even with hope in the atonement and in your family being forever, it is a hard thing for a family to go through, and you are in my thoughts and prayers. It's so good to see so many people who love you surrounding you.

from Stacy Whitman, who used to be in the 5th ward

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I meant Milo and Ezra!

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, our families don't get to see each other very often because we live so far away, but I got to visit the Hemsley-Sherman family by myself a few weeks ago. One afternoon Kandice and I were leaving to go run errands, and Ezra jumped up and said he wanted to come. I was very surprised by that since my boys, who are similar ages, have never done that...ever. To me that simple gesture showed the special relationship he had with his mom.

There was this miniature deck of cards in the car and Ezra and I started to play a game of War. I was feeling pretty confident in my victory, with almost the entire deck in my hand by the time we ended our errands, and I thought our game was over. The next day when we got in the car though, Ezra had a very sly smile on his face as he pulled out the remaining cards from our game that he had carefully saved and rubber-banded together. We continued on with our game where we left off, and although Ezra had only 4 cards left in his pile when we started, he went on to win the entire deck back in a very short amount of time. I loved Ezra's spirit.

Love, Aunt Shayne

Anonymous said...

Kandice and Ryan are well aware of this one but several summers ago, the cousins and aunts and uncles were visiting Ecola State Park, between Seaside and Cannon Beach, Oregon. Ezra and Milo and I got well ahead of the gang on a hike and we discovered a steep cliff leading down to the beach. An old rope was tied into something to anchor it into the rock and after giving some tugs, I deemed it safe. The boys were raring to go and all three of us rappeled down to the beach. The boys did great. No worries at all. There we were alone on a pristine site that probably wasn't meant for public use. The boys ran to the tide pools and excitedly pointed out sea stars, anemones, slugs and snails. We hiked around, took some pictures and finally glimpsed the rest of the adults at the top of the cliffs, frantically waving for us to get back and join the group.

Nobody seemed to get the joke at the time, sneaking away with the boys like that. To me it was a special time I won't forget. A little bit naughty but fun and personal, probably one of my few times privately with the boys. Both Ezra and Milo are explorers, naturally inquisitive and full of joie de vivre.

I love that memory and it always makes me smile when I think of it.

Anonymous said...

Cher reminded me that my son Sam was with us at the the time, so there were four of us, the three boys and I. It doesn't change the meaning but I thought I ought to clarify.

July 2006, so Sam was 6 and Milo and Ezra were 8.

Anonymous said...

Well to add to that story everyone else was looking frantically for dad and the kids for a long time!!!haha well at least we found all of them.

Anonymous said...

My favorite memory of Ezra was when we did the I Love Lucy play and I got to play a nerdy employer. Later we both came up with our nerd names and always called each other that afterwards! Lester:me Ernest:Ezra!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the stories!
I have lots of memories of Ezra, and most of them end up with me laughing! One that stands out is when I was talking to Ezra and Milo and trying to figure out which is which. I remember them tricking me and goofing around with their names. I was confused and trying to figure out which one was which. In the end they told me and they totally tricked me, i just had to laugh. I will remember Ezra as one who would always put a smile on your face!
Jules Puckett

Anonymous said...

I remember the first guide dog meeting your family came to and how excited Ezra and Milo were to be in a room filled with puppies. At the beginning of the meeting we were going around the room introducing ourselves and when we came to your family everyone kind of looked at each other, undecided on who was going to say everyone's names, and I'm pretty sure it was Ezra who spoke up and enthusiastically introduced everyone. I will always remember Ezra's good humor and enthusiasm and I will try and emulate the example he set in raising guide dogs.

hanner said...

I have never actually met Ezra (I am Bonny Bolander's youngest sister, Hannah), but reading the posts from the past week just really touched me. You have such a beautiful family! I hope that my husband and I can raise kids that love life and are as fun as yours sound. Our prayers go out to your family.

Stacy said...

This is the memory that I shared in Primary today. When we were their teachers and were allowed to bring treats, the boys would always ask for a box of Nerds candy. One Sunday, as I was passing out the candy, Ezra said with a serious face, "you should really shop at grocery outlet. They have really good prices. You can get a big box of Nerds there for $1.99." I thought it was so cute and funny. I will never forget this memory.

Anonymous said...

I will always think of Ezra as the really funny nice cool kid that had the most unfair death. Daniel puckett

roamingjones said...

I don't know you, but I wanted to thank you for sharing your heartache and especially your faith. Reading this blog has brought tears to my eyes. I swore I would go home and hug my boys a little tighter and I did. May God continue to comfort your family.

Anonymous said...

HI!
There are soo many memories of Ezra that I would to share but here is a few: So, Having the experience of having Ezra in my class for fourth grade,I learned ALOT about Ezra the highlights are that: He loves Pie, He enjoys music, He loves Nerds and He's a piano professional!First of all, if you know Ezra you HAVE to know he loves pie.Secondly, he loved being a part of the 45ers and whenever there's silence and nothing to do Ezra would remind us of the songs we recently sang with Mr.Key by singing it-he's always so Cheerful!Next, Ezra loves nerds and there's someway you'll find out and finally, whenever there's an open piano he'll go up there and he plays like a professional. Going on the Oregon trail with Ezra was soo much fun...With me as his mother Beth, Delaney Being Older sister Amy? Natalie was May-the youngest? I think...Joseph, I totally forgot his name but he was Ezra's Uncle, Finally, Ezra was Ben. Ben, May and Amy always fought and argued, Amy always bragged about the Glory of being the oldest...It was really fun. -Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Alexander and I have been reflecting on our memories of Ezra since we learned of his call to heaven. Each tale begins with those big brown eyes looking up at us with a mischievous and contagious grin or giggle to go with them. Most often with Milo co-conspiring on some silly plan of creative fun--and Luka, Ryan or Kandice with a watchful and endearing (ok, sometimes rolling) eye on them close by.
Your family's bond has always been admirable and shines through in your writing. Thank you for sharing your most heartfelt thoughts.

Sending many hugs your way,
Alexander, Jim & Diane Castanes

Anonymous said...

My favorite memory with Ezra was when we did the I Love Lucy play. Ezra had a great sense of humor. He could definitely act.
Love,
Jacqueline (your cousin)

Anonymous said...

When Ezra and Milo were smaller, I remember every time I saw them they'd cling to my legs and give me the strongest, longest hugs ever. I'd try to walk around with them on my legs. Its hard for me to pick out memories of just Ezra, because most of them time I was around him Milo was there too, plus half the time I couldn't tell them apart!

Two things that definitely stick out though, are the giant holes we'd dig every time we go to Seaside. Those were so big! And they got fancier every year.

The other thing, is when we had that snow day at our house, and we built a big snowman in the backyard. The best part of it was its face! It looked like a real person's face on a snowman's body.

I'll always remember Ezra as one of the smartest, most talented, and loving people I've ever met, coming from one of the smartest, most talented, and loving families of all time!

I miss you Ezra! I can't wait until I get the chance to see you again! Although I'll do my best to put it off as long as possible.

Love,
Victor

Anonymous said...

I have a very vivid memory of your two boys, they were probably 4 years old at the time. They were tearing around Madrona park on their little matching bikes with tiny wheels. They were absolutely flying! Crashing into one another and racing. Completely reveling in the freedom that IS being a four year old boy. My son Isaiah was 2 at the time, a happy little ball of energy. At the time I was frequently worried by big questions about what it meant to be a father. I remember that seeing your boys that day inspired one of those tiny epiphanies that help make us who we are. I saw them and it dawned on me that this life with a little boy didn't have to be complicated. I realized it was going to be fun. More fun than anything else I'd ever done. I want to thank Ezra for being a part of my understanding of what being a parent is about.

Please know that at times like these community becomes family and there are more people out there sending you love than you can ever imagine. I hope you find strength in your faith and in knowing that you are in the thoughts of the many that embrace you as a community.
With love,
Jude, Jen, Isaiah and Mira

Tyler and Stacy: said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tyler and Stacy: said...

I have many fond memories of Ezra. Playing games, watching movies, eating his favorite pizza (Pagliacci's!), etc., but there is one that stands out above all. He was seven when we first became his Primary teachers, and he would always hold my hand in opening exercises or as we walked to class. Such a kind and loving gesture. So often it is not the big, grand things that we remember, but rather the small and subtle. As per usual, The Beatles had it right all along. Ezra, I Want to Hold Your Hand.

Tyler

Anonymous said...

Dear Kandice, Ryan, Milo, and Luka and Beckley,

We hold such fond memories of Ezra in our hearts. He was full of such joy. I loved listening to the sounds of your home in the summer time. The kids playing in the yard. The piano and violin. The unicycle and pogo stick magic on the sidewalk in front of the house.
We will always remember Ezra as we always will remember Milo and Luka and sweet Beckley and you both Ryan and Kandice....there are no words tonight. We send you our caring thoughts through the miles. (from here in Canada tonight.)
Your neighbors Vera, Jen and Sophie.
632 32nd.

grannybabs said...

Bonny's mom here - I remember the birth announcement on your boys - and loved their names - and from our brief association with you knew that they would be happy, creative kids - which they apparently were/are.

You are in my prayers - prayers for peace and comfort.

Anonymous said...

C’est avec beaucoup de tristesse que nous avons accueilli le décès d’Ezra. Cela a été si rapide pour nous. Nous sommes de tout cœur avec vous et prions pour que Notre Père Céleste vous accorde le réconfort dont vous avez besoin maintenant et dans les jours à venir. Je sais que votre connaissance du plan divin et de l’amour infini de Notre Père Céleste et de Notre Sauveur Jésus-Chist vous aiderons à attendre patiemment vos retrouvailles avec votre cher et tendre Ezra.
Comme je te l’ai dis Kandice, le 17 avril 2009 cela fera 6 ans que ma fille Ericka qui allait avoir 20 ans est décédée d’une leucémie. Après 9 mois de traitement, de souffrance, d’espoir, de bénédictions, de jeûnes et de prières, Notre Père Céleste l’a rappelée auprès de lui pendant que je lui tenais la main, pour accomplir une autre mission. Je pense qu’il en ait de même pour Ezra. Comme vous j’attends avec foi le jour ou je pourrai la serrer à nouveau dans mes bras.
Dans cette attente, puissions nous tous rester ferme et persévérer jusqu’à la fin.

Avec tout notre amour.

Jean-Eric, Odile, Shaïny, Sleïny et Sthély.

Eliza said...

Another one of Bonny's sisters here. I have never met Ezra but he sounds like such a sweet boy, full of life, with many friends. I do remember going to your wedding reception, and I remember Ryan taking pictures at Bonny and Bruce's wedding. I have seen pictures of your family over the years and thought, what a beautiful family with beautiful names. I am certainly thinking of you, praying for you, weeping with you, and trying to more fully enjoy my time with my own little ones in Ezra's honor.

Anonymous said...

I remember Milo & Ezra coming over in kindergarten. Ezra found this old tape recorder that was mostly broken, the kind that has a microphone attached. He was fascinated by it. He carried it all around the house, talking into the microphone, wondering if there was some way to fix it. Something that was headed to the trash for the rest of us was a treasure to Ezra.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful memories.

I will never forgot the time Ken and I came to your old house to babysit your kids for you. I'm not sure why we were doing this...but we were excited. Kandice took us around the house to show us what we'd need to do that night and I remember her telling us to make sure to put the "cage" over the twins cribs so they wouldn't get out. We weren't parents yet and were horrified that a parent would have to do something like that to keep their kids in bed. Of course now with a toddler of our own, WE UNDERSTAND and laugh about it all the time.

I also always think about the time Ryan and Kandice told us the story of deciding to having "just one more baby" and Luke and ending up with twins! I think Kandice said something like "Heavenly Father tricked us!" Of course she was laughing when she said this...that story has forever stayed with me.

Anonymous said...

One thing I remember the best about Ezra, is when Ezra, Milo, and me would atach the skateboard to the bike with a jump rope. Then the person on the mike would ride around my driveway wile the person on the skate board would be on there stomach! (we tried standing up, didn't end well :D

-Ryan Collyer

Anonymous said...

Another one I remember is when I went to their caban, to watch their baptism. we did a lot of fun things!

-Ryan Collyer

Anonymous said...

I will always think of Ezra wearing an impish smile concocting some scheme for fun and excitement. He could do amazing things with a jump rope. Watching him play tirelessly with Milo and Ryan reminded me of a litter of romping puppies. I also admire Ezra's passion for good food. He was never far away if a tasty morsel was to be had. In fact the way he enjoyed food serves, I think, as a metaphor for the way he enjoyed life, with passion. We know he is in a peaceful place surrounded by people who love him. But we will miss him so much and look forward to seeing that smile again as we all one day fly away to where he has flown.
Linda

Anonymous said...

Kandace and Ryan,

Thank you for all you have shared with us over these past days. You have brought our community together in our shared grief and memories of Ezra. We read your entries with tears running down our cheeks and now with smiles. I remember Ezra's bright smile and the 2nd grade circus. Ezra was a star.

Deborah Teague

Anonymous said...

Ethan and Ammon always LOVED to hear Ezra play "Pink Panther." They wanted to learn because he is SO COOL!!

Stephan Roche said...

Ezra thrived on making life fun. Perpetually moving on the McGilvra field, giggling and bouncing around playing Wii, running straight upstairs to play with barely a wave hello -- he was a boy who adored life.

Once, Ezra surreptitiously asked me for some pocket change to throw into our pool. While the other boys splashed around, Ezra quietly swam to the bottom, grabbed a quarter or two off the bottom, then popped his head out of the water and yelled that he had found money. He grinned his chesire cat grin as we both watched the other boys dive madly to find some coins for themselves.

My favorite part of the story is that after the boys finished swimming, Ezra returned all of the coins to me!

Our family will forever cherish the memories we have of Ezra. He was an extraordinary boy.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know Ezra except by his lovely face and presense at McGilvra, but my son, Arlo (4th Grade) has always thought Milo and Ezra were pretty cool. Last Thursday night, Arlo(Age 9) and Willa(Age 12)made dozens of cranes for Ezra after dinner. It was getting late and Arlo wanted to make Ezra a Giant Crane, he was in the livingroom and I was cleaning up the Kitchen and I heard Arlo crying... I thought it was just being overtired and frustation with his project, but then Steve and I quickly relized that for Arlo making this crane seemed pretty urgent. I think Arlo really wanted to believe that the Cranes could help Ezra get better, Arlo asked a lot of questions about Ezra's illness that night and he stayed up and finished the Crane. It is so clear from hearing about Ezra and reading your words and the comments here that Ezra was a gift to so many people including Arlo.

Anonymous said...

I remeber when I was in Seussical with Ezra, on the first day of rehersal Ezra and Milo kept switching around and fooling me. And on that first day I could not remember for the life of me which one was which! But after a while I could definetely tell them apart. On our second show Ezra caught me snacking on a bag of of Goldfish backstage. "UH OH! You're gonna get in trouble!" he said "Why?" I asked as he confiscated my Goldfish "You're not supposed to have dairy before a show." "Gosh Ezra, just gimme back my Goldfish!" I said but he just ran off. Later that night, near the end of the show, I saw Jimmy who was giving someone a lecture on how "You shouldn't eat dairy before a show". Ezra smirked at me and I knew he had saved me at least ten minutes of an emabarrassing lecture. Thanks Ezra.
Julia

Anonymous said...

It seems like our memories all including laughter and food somehow! Carpool to BB: Lily recalls Ezra was always the one to start the group on snack and then to start working on the song for the day! Michael recalls a certain cupcake fight that he and Ezra created (they both got "in trouble" but they were having fun). Will has lots of memories- he loved unicyling with Ezra (he says Ezra got better than him pretty fast); he loved that they shared parts and costumes, he knew Ezra would love the Mayor costume as soon as he saw it (pink and green)! erasers, smiles, snacks and songs... Chris coached the two amigos in baseball and loved it because they were always in a good mood!! For me, it is the smiles. Love, The Karges Family

Anonymous said...

This is hard for me; we simply didn't have the time together that we should have to make more memories! That said - I've been thinking about how Ezra was all light - no dark side, no meanness, no inner demons - mischevious, yes; occasionally annoying, absolutely and in the most hilarious way! I think of Ezra as smiles, laughter, tricks, enthusiasm, joy, helpfulness, nothing but positive energy, and someone who loved that he was unique. For me he will be the boy whose wishes came true(from his 1st day of school "Getting to Know You" worksheet): "I wish that I could fly; that I could become invisible; and that I could appear anywhere." I'll be looking for you, Ezra.

Anonymous said...

Dear Sherman family,
Even though I have never met you, your family has touched my life. I am a co-worker friend of Carolyn Nealon who had asked me to participate in a prayer fast for Ezra. You are correct in that the prayers for Ezra transcended across statelines and through various faiths/religions. I also wholeheartedly agree and believe that your miracle was the 6 days. By God’s grace, your family was blessed with the 6 precious days with your beautiful, beloved son. I am grateful that through the blog I am able to get a glimpse of Ezra’s spirit. The faith and love of your family has been amazing – full of strength, humor, and hope. Your family truly exemplifies why we are all here on this Earth: to love the Lord and to love one another. I just wanted to let you know that Ezra has touched many lives beyond those who know him. Thank you for sharing your family memories. Julie Rodriguez

Anonymous said...

I remember Ezra always making funny jokes. I can't remember any joke he said that didn't make me laugh.He was very creative and smart.I also remember playing pig pen at recess with Ezra. He always knew where to hide.
-Ariel

Jay and Tonja said...

Jay and I always loved to watch Ezra and Milo together. They were so entertaining. When they were little and just toddlers, they reminded us of the rollie pollie bugs in "A Bugs Life"--Pop & Roll were their names I believe. These characters have perma-grins on their faces, much like Ezra and Milo! Sidni loves that movie and we will always be reminded of the boys when we watch it!

Anonymous said...

Lucy and Charlotte wanted to share the following that reminded them of Ezra:

Coconut-nut. Coconut-nut.

"Eyeballs for sale!"

Lucy also remembers Ezra jumping off of the couch in our basement onto the cushions right onto his belly (on New Year's Eve, I believe).

Lucy said she remembers Ezra as her friend, who was very nice to her, "and we would play silly jokes with each other."

We also remember Ezra always wanting to hold baby (and toddler) Charlotte. He would often comment on her "church socks" as well.

Lucy remembers roasting marshmallows with them at the ward campout.

Both our girls have always looked up to and *loved* to spend time with Ezra, Milo, and Luka. We're grateful for their strong example to our children.

I have many fond memories of Ezra: from primary, activities, hanging out at the Sherman-Hemsleys' home, and wonderful opportunities I've had to meet with him and witness his sweet and strong spirit.

[Charlotte wanted to write her name:]
cbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarlttre

[and Lucy:]
lucy

We love you all, and are thinking about you.

The Durhams

Becky said...

You were in our ward briefly in Woodinville. I remember your twins and your daughter. I am so saddened by Ezra's passing. My prayers are with your family.
Becky Cole
Woodinville 3rd Ward Primary

Anonymous said...

Dearest Sherman family, Tom and I (Nick's Mom and Dad) have always cherished the day we spent with you in our home in the San Fernando Valley. We did a lot of music--guitar, mandolin, ukelele, and even piano as those adorable pictures show. And we remember wishing we lived closer and could see you all more often. You have shown such courage and grace during this tragic time and our love and thoughts have been and are constantly with you. Anne Faigin

Anonymous said...

EZRA'S song


I thought i cold catch you while you fell but i was wrong oh so wrong
I thought i could catch you while you fell You were always happy, cheery i never thought things could be so eerie
But now it is cause' you are gone. I never thought that i would have to face chalenges oh so real

Anonymous said...

Most of my memories are of Milo and Ezra/Ezra and Milo. I remember toddler play groups and I remember all three of your kids roller skating in our basement after we gutted it. Maybe before we gutted it. I do remember at day camp when all the kids "buddied up" with their friends and instead of looking for somebody he knew to hang out with, Ezra looked around and picked somebody that really needed a buddy. I love Ezra. I love you all.
Merrily

Anna said...

I didn't know your family very well, but I raise guide dogs, and was at the puppy truck when you got Art, I held Beckley for you guys. :) Just wanted to let you know I'm so sorry, and you are in my prayers every day.

Anonymous said...

Hi Milo,
I don't know if you remember me but i'm the one that called you sikey. What happened is a terrible thing, I'm really sorry. I you want to keep in touch my email address is jgmundt@gmail.com.
Jake Mundt

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful family, I join you and your community in this moment of hearts opening. Kandice... I cannot picture you without a smile and twinkle in your eye, delighting in the mischief. Love, love, love.
Elizabeth Goldberg.

Anonymous said...

My favorite memory of Ezra is playing toilet tag on Palora street where my mom and Ryan, Ezra's dad grew up. I wish I could visit Ezra again.
From Peter

Anonymous said...

Dear Shermans,
I'm so sorry about what happened to Ezra. My best memory of him was when the boys were playing with the little remote-control cars and Milo and Ezra made a screech mark on the kitchen floor. The boys got down on their hands and knees and used erasers to get it off the floor. It was very funny. I think God just got the best angel he'll ever have. Thanks for this blog.
love, Laura's daughter,
Victoria

Anonymous said...

I only knew Ezra through broadway bound, I remember how I would always mix Milo up with Ezra. I said goodbye to him at our last performance of seussical the musical. Funny thing about goodbyes, you never know if it's the last one you'll ever get. I hope he's rejoicing in heaven
From Alex Kanagusuku.

Ms. Melonie said...

Ezra was a very loving, caring, and sharing little boy. His smiles always made my day. He would come up some days at lunch time and show me what ever he got from the school lunch whether it be a milk or something else to add to his home lunch with a great big smile. I will miss that. He was always a happy boy. You did a wonderful job raising him, Milo and Luka. Thanks for sharing him with him and everyone else.

Anonymous said...

My little treasure trove of indelible Ezra moments: Ezra's graciousness in receiving praise after a B.B. performance; Ezra's charasmatic smile and pose in in the frame of my camera one fall afternoon; Ezra's confident skill handling Beckley and then the quick handoff to go scale the nearby rock wall; Ezra's impromtu front yard performance of his audition song; Ezra's beaming face while presenting his latest Halloween costume along with Milo and Luka; Ezra's happiness in bestowing a cookie surprise and his genuine joy in having visitors to his home. Our world is a richer place for having had the pleasure of Ezra's exuberant and loving company. Thank you, Sherman-Hemsley family...for shaping Ezra and sharing him with all of us~
With fondness and love, Shelley

Amber Hemsley said...

Hi, it's Jon and Amber Hemsley (Karl's youngest son). We heard the news and we just wanted you to know that you are in our prayers. I've loved to be able to read so many of the memories from friends and family and getting to know Ezra a little better. All our love,
The Hemsley's
P.S. we have a blog so we can better stay in touch, it's private but if you e-mail my wife with your e-mail address she can send you an invite so you can access our blog as well. Her e-mail is hemsleydesign@hotmail.com Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Dear Kandice, Ryan, Milo and Luka,
Words cannot express what we feel for your loss. I know memories of Ezra will help comfort you, and all of us, in his sudden passing. God definitely had other plans for that little guy.
Talking to Kiki about one of "her best friends (Ezra)" and why God may have taken him so early was tremendously heartbreaking...She is comforted by knowing that he is now another "little guardian angel" who watches over his family and friends. She also recently played a basketball game which she dedicated to Ezra and scored 7 points! We will definitely be at the service tomorrow. Rest in peace Ezra!
Love always, Kiki, Sandra and David Fukuhara

Anonymous said...

Kandice, Ryan, Luka and Milo,

Our thoughts and prayers go out to you as you prepare to send Ezra to his beloved creator. Memories take me back to Blake's McGilvra days when we would see the dynamic duo all smiles playing on the field - such energy, such life, so precious. Your love and strength fill my heart and give new meaning to acceptance. Thank you for sharing the wonderful stories; you have captured Ezra's life so beautifully...

Much love, Mary and Blake

The Liddle-Roches said...

It seems we don't have any one, stand-alone memory of Ezra (except for seeing him sweet-talk the ladies as the dashing Mr. Bundles! Go, Ezra!). What we do have are a hundred little moments that meant he was part of our life...

...making Silly Putty snowmen or origami frogs together during sacrament meeting (we were reverent, I swear)...

...watching him scurry away from Bishop Croshaw's office with a mischievous grin and two handfuls of gummies ("This one is for Luka!" he would reason as we questioned his seeming overconsumption)...

...playing Scattergories at dinner parties (always SO clever and VERY inventive with words!)...

...noticing him slowly but surely conquer his fear of speaking from the podium during the Primary programs...

...or seeing he and Milo come running up to us after church chiming "Got any gum?" in perfect unison...

We will always remember your silly shenanigans and happy spirit, Ezra, you lovely boy.

Steph and Neil

Anonymous said...

It was a beautiful service today. Thank you for letting us all share in it. The 5th grade class was so touching. Their heartfelt singing and the words to the songs touched us all.

May God continue to comfort and bring peace to your family.

Melati Amundson

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful service with wonderful music and great people. Thank you for sharing your son, his life and your love for him with all of us.
Megan Shethar

Anonymous said...

That really was a terrific service. It made me cry, but it also made me laugh, which is good in a service. The music was beautiful and the braclets are really cool. Luka, don't worry you didn't miss much today. Math mobiles aren't due till the end of class monday or tuesday after break. Turns out, since alot of teachers went to the service, they just left everyone with the remaining teachers and let them do whatever they wanted.
Thankyou and I wish you strengh in the coming weeks and beyond.
Clare
P.S. Have an awesome break

Anonymous said...

Luka (and Milo, Kandice, and Ryan),
I remember the afternoons, just after the bell rang, when Ezra and Milo would come bounding into our fourth grade classroom at McGilvra. Full of energy and enthusiasm. Always! You would look at them with your proud, big-sister smile. And then you would roll your eyes as they looked at us, grinned their impish grins, and proceeded with their mischief. As my heart breaks with the news of you and your family’s loss, I will hold on to these images as a way to hold to the vitality that emanated from Ezra. Luka, I know there are countless ways that Ezra will continue to be with you as you grow. Some of those ways are known, but some will come to you in that unpredictable way that your little brother so often surprised us all. You are such a gentle soul. Your intelligence and goodness radiates from you, and it is reflected in the eyes of those you know. I saw it in Ezra’s eyes, and I hope that is an image you can always keep close to your heart.

Joseph said...

I will never forget Ezra...
he made the class who we were, kids.
energetic, excited, and happy.

-Joseph

Anonymous said...

I just found out about Ezra's passing. I am mom to Ellie and Sam Kopf. They performed with Ezra in Seussical. Ezra was such a bright soul. Our kids absolutely loved being in Seussical with him. Sam especially enjoyed both Milo and Ezra -- they all had that boy energy thing going! We were so sorry that were not able to attend Ezra's funeral, but we will always, always remember his smiling face and the great love and affection that he had for his Mom, sister and twin brother. Our prayers are with you during this time.
Sincerely,
Abbe Kopf -- Mom to Sam and Ellie Kopf

Anonymous said...

hi,
I used to go to McGilvra, and I really remember a day when it was friday freetime, and we were playing capture the flag, boys against girls. I remember that my friend Jamie Jenkins, Ezra and I had a huge argument. It lasted a while, but at the end of friday freetime, we are all just laughing and laughing. The funny thing is, I don't remember what the argument was about!

-Maighread Clark
former McGilvra Student

Anonymous said...

Enthusiam- embodied.
Ezra, you're still in my thoughts. One of my favorite memories is cooking bow-tie pasta for Ezra and Milo. Was it Ezra or Milo who said first that you loved the pasta and wanted it again, soon, maybe tomorrow, we should figure out when, right now - I don't think I knew. But, I also didn't see Ezra and Milo ever disagree, not on important things. I saw them as a unified front- a force of nature. I hope there is bow-tie pasta in heaven, I really do.
Joe

maria said...

One of my first memories of the boys working together/doing tag team was at our Relief Society service auction. I had made this flower pot cake with sugar cookie flowers stuck onto bamboo skewers. Both Ezra and Milo looked like their eyes might pop out of their heads when I brought it in, and they were immediately wanting to help carry it into the kitchen and into the RS room. They were very interested in the cookies and wanting to know what would happen with the ones that fell off of the skewers. Once the auction got started they were determined to go home with it, so they first started working on Kandice, assuring her that she really wanted it. Then they started working the room - getting people to donate to Kandice's cause to ensure a safe bet. Kandice did in fact go home with the flower pot cake, although I'm not sure how much of it actually made it to the house.
Food is something the boys were always willing to help with, and sample.

-Maria

Gabriella G. said...

Sherman Family-

I don't know if you'd remember me, but I live in the Stevenson area. Whenever you would come to visit we would love to play with Luka, Milo and Ezra. I can't say how much we are going to miss him. WE think about you every day and hope you're doing okay. WE also hope to see you again.

theadamsfamilyblog said...

This a beautiful blog. I just heard about Ezra today at Choir in Utah. What I remember was his sincere heart when your kids shared their testimony's in church. Adam would say I woke we have kids like that! And of course when they saved the day at Sara's shower, singing "Animal Crackers" Are thoughts and prayers are with you all! We are glad Ezra is at Joy in Heaven!

Carob & Adam Bartholomew!